Everyone gets bad breath from time to time when they eat something particularly odiferous. Foods like onions and garlic as well as beverages like coffee and tea can cause halitosis. But if you brush or chew a piece of gum, the bad breath disappears.
But what about bad breath that persists? It can be embarrassing—and it can also be an indicator that there is an underlying problem.
Regardless of the reason for it, you want to get rid of it. Let’s talk about whether a trip to your Saint Paul, MN dentist is necessary—or if you can try some home remedies.
Ways to Fight Bad Breath
There are hundreds of bacteria in our mouths, so it’s not surprising that breath can get stinky. In addition to making sure you are visiting your dentist twice each year for cleanings and examinations, here are some suggestions for getting rid of the odors in your mouth:
- Drink plenty of water. This will help keep your mouth moist and can help wash away any lingering food particles.
- Brush your teeth after eating. It’s not a bad idea to floss after each meal either.
- Get a new toothbrush every couple of months.
- Use a mouthwash; alcohol-free is best because it is not drying.
- Chew gum. Gum that has xylitol is particularly helpful.
- If you wear dentures, don’t skimp on care. Take them out each night and clean them thoroughly.
If you have tried these remedies to no avail, you might be suffering from a more serious problem, such as gum disease, and you should see your dentist.
Call Brimhall Dentistry Today!
If you are suffering from persistent bad breath in Saint Paul, MN, give us a call! We can make sure that poor oral health is not the reason for your bad breath and offer suggestions on how to get rid of it.